Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Happy Hand Made



     Ewww...  I always thought hand made gifts were pretty special, but this may be going too far.  However, apparently, crafting with cat hair is a real thing. Check this out:

      
     I discovered this book when I was searching for a small gift to send to my daughter in college.  Something she could carry around in her pocket to give her a smile and think of me.

    This is what I found:

   At only one inch tall, this tiny adorable bunny was just what I was after.  He is needle felted wool (same idea as the cat hair above). He was hand crafted and sold through a shop on Etsy.com.  I love Etsy because everything for sale on Etsy is either hand made, vintage, or supplies to make things.

Here's another cutie:

   I am thrilled that although we live in a very commercialized society, hand made and recycled items are making a comeback.

I always loved this battle cry of the Great Depression:


     I imagine that the majority of Americans, including myself, would have no idea how to really survive in a time like that.  So pressed for anything of value, including food, they even made their toys from what we would consider garbage.  This is a traditional Depression Era corn husk doll:


    And sometimes surprising to us, Depression Era type of living (and worse) is going on all over the world TODAY.  But humans are creative beings, and they will always find a way to bring joy, no matter how difficult.

Here is what a group of children in Paraguay 
are doing with landfill trash:

You can see an amazing video of the entire orchestra here: Landfillharmonic

     I was fortunate for Mother's Day when both my children gave me hand made gifts.

My son purchased this gorgeous pitcher at a local Art Fair:



And my 'college poor' daughter got creative:


    Yes, I tried them all on..... and yes, a nose by any other name WOULD smell as sweet. 

    Now, I need to get cracking and come up with a hand made item for my husband for Father's Day.  Wait a minute....  We have a cat!


Heeeere... Kitty, Kitty!

No comments:

Post a Comment